Unstoppable Domains uses Polygon as our layer 2 (L2) scaling solution. This allows us to make our Web3 domains free to mint and manage on L2, and UD customers will no longer have to pay minting fees, renewal fees, or gas fees. As part of this integration, new and existing members will be able to mint and manage their domains for free on Polygon. Existing members will be able to move their minted domains from Zilliqa and Ethereum to Polygon if they so choose.
Polygon POS Chain is the leading platform for Ethereum scaling and infrastructure development. Its growing suite of products offers developers easy access to all major scaling and infrastructure solutions: L2 solutions (ZK Rollups and Optimistic Rollups), sidechains, commit chains, hybrid solutions, stand-alone and enterprise chains, data availability solutions, and more.
By removing the transactional costs involved in hosting and managing Web3 domains, a whole new set of capabilities becomes viable for everyday use.
- Customers will be able to connect multiple wallets to their domains for payment, host, and edit decentralized websites (blogs, NFT galleries, etc) without having to worry about paying gas fees.
- Developers will be able to design and create new templates, with increased complexity and functionality without the concern that users might not be able to afford to use them.
- Web3 domains will become a viable alternative to existing web2 single sign-on such as with our newly announced product, Login with Unstoppable .
|L1 (Ethereum)||L2 (Polygon)|
|Ethereum blockchain network||Polygon blockchain network, but based on Ethereum and uses the same Ethereum addresses, so many smart-contract features will continue to function|
|PoW (Proof-of-Work) consensus||PoS (Proof-of-Stake) consensus|
|Transactions are handled individually so gas fees must be paid on each and every transaction||Transactions are handled in bulk, which greatly reduces gas fees, so UD can cover fees for customers|
|Customer covers gas fees for minting and managing domains||UD covers gas fees for minting and managing domains|
|Domain features will still be available but may not receive new feature updates||Domains will have access to the newest feature updates|
Rather than sending every transaction through Layer 1 for a lengthy and expensive minting process, L2 works to bulk process these transactions on a separate blockchain to help with congestion issues. This results in much faster transactions with regards to processing time.
Layer 2 (Polygon) uses a PoS consensus that is a more economical solution than the PoW alternative used on Layer 1 (Ethereum), which greatly reduces transaction and gas fees. Unstoppable Domains will cover the L2 transaction fees for customers who manage their domains using our website.
Domain management will be much cheaper and faster compared to L1, due to lower fees and faster transactions. This allows customers to make more frequent updates to domain records, such as NFT galleries and IPFS websites, due to benefits of the L2 infrastructure.
- All new domains will be minted on L2; all L1 minting is disabled.
- Domains minted on Polygon may not resolve in all wallets and exchanges until resolution updates have been made to integrated apps.
- We cannot guarantee a specific timeline for each app as it's at the discretion of each individual product and engineering organization.